Friday, July 24, 2009

My Story

I have never been very confident about relationships and the few relationships I have ever had never lasted for more than half a year until I met him.

I met Irvin four years ago. I started a relationship that I thought would not last for a month. He had a lower qualification than I did and I thought we would not be able to communicate. However, before I knew it, we were three years into the relationship and he was the one who made me feel that relationships do last. He changed my perspective about love and I begin a relationship that evolves only between the two of us. We met each other on every weekday after our work and spent all our weekends together. To me, that was absolutely necessary to building a strong relationship, even at the expense of my family and friends.

The time came for us to begin considering moving on to the next phase of our lives and hence, we decided to apply for an apartment. I spent minimal time considering what this implied and as if it is a habit of mind, we are expected to settle down after a few years of courtship. Little did I know that, this is merely a set of broad, generalized and orienting dispositions that act as a filter for interpreting the meaning of my experience of thinking of settling down as the rightful course of action after a few years of courtship. 

According to Mezirow, 2000, habit of mind is constantly expressed and operated outside of awareness ... arbitrarily determine what we see and how we see it - cause-effect relationships, scenarios of sequences of events, what others will be like, and our idealised self-image. Hence, this exemplifies a line of action that tend to follow automatically unless brought into critical reflection (Mezirow, 2000).

No comments:

Post a Comment